Dale Jasper - Chelsea FC - Biography of his Chelsea football career.

Photo/Foto: George Herringshaw

Date: 01 January 1984

Click on image to enlarge

      Tuesday, 14 January 1964
      Croydon, England. Died 30th. January 2020 aged 56.
  • Chelsea FC
    • Club Career Dates
    • League Debut
      Saturday, 31st March 1984 in a 3-3 draw at Cardiff City (Aged: 20)
    • Club Career
      10 League apps
Sponsorship opportunity £100 a month for a live logo. Sponsorship opportunity Sponsorship. Sponsorship opportunity

Dale JASPER - Chelsea FC - Biography of his Chelsea football career.

 Dale Jasper died on 30th. January 2020 aged 56.

Great things were expected of Dale Jasper when he finally made the breakthrough into Chelsea's first team late in the 1983/84 season. An almost unanimous selection amongst his peers as the youngster with the brightest future ahead of him, the versatile 20-year old made his senior bow in an incredible match at Cardiff in March 1984. Playing as an emergency centre-half in the absence of Joe McLaughlin, Jasper was given a baptism of fire by a rugged Cardiff side who raced into a 3-0 half-time lead, a lead they held until six minutes from time before Chelsea staged an incredible fight-back to claim an unlikely share of the points. McLaughlin's return saw Jasper back in the reserve team, a team which he captained to the Football Combination title that year. He was recalled to the first team for the final two games of the season and further illustrated his versatility by playing in his preferred central-midfield spot in a 3-1 win over Barnsley, before ending the season at left-back in the team which clinched the Second Division title with a 1-0 victory at Grimsby. Dale had a composed, elegant playing style which was pleasing to the eye and he was given an immediate opportunity to exhibit his skills at the highest level when the new season began, replacing the injured John Bumstead for the first three games of the season. He acquitted himself superbly but incurred a foot injury against Everton which kept him out for a spell.


Jasper returned in midfield at Sheffield Wednesday in a Milk Cup quarter-final tie in which Chelsea were trailing 3-0 at half-time. He replaced Colin Lee at the interval and defended superbly as Chelsea turned certain defeat into apparent victory before conceding a last minute equaliser. The Blues eventually triumphed at the third attempt but the semi-final first-leg proved to be the turning-point in his career. Replacing McLaughlin, who had dislocated his elbow after just 11 minutes in the match at Sunderland, Jasper conceded two contentious penalties which cost Chelsea the match. Manager John Neal commendably kept faith with the youngster for the next four matches but, with an unforgiving crowd now on his back, and his graceful, languid playing style no longer being seen by the supporters as a measure of his class but rather a sign of laziness, Neal eventually dropped him from the side for the remainder of the season. The manager was forced to retire through ill health that summer and his successor John Hollins wasted no time in recruiting Tottenham's Micky Hazard to do the job that Dale coveted. The writing was on the wall for Jasper when he made just two appearances, one as a substitute, in 1985/86 and it came as a surprise to nobody when he was offloaded on a free-transfer to Brighton before the season's end. (Kelvin Barker)

1986–1988    Brighton & Hove Albion    49    (6 goals)
1988–1992    Crewe Alexandra              111    (2 goals)