Dave Beasant - Chelsea FC - Biography of Chelsea career.

Photo/Foto: George Herringshaw

Date: 01 January 1991

Click on image to enlarge

      Friday, 20 March 1959
      Willesden, England.
  • England
  • Chelsea FC
    • Club Career Dates
    • League Debut
      Saturday, 14th January 1989 in a 1-0 win at home to Crystal Palace (Aged: 29)
    • Club Career
      133 League apps, 0 goals
  • Wimbledon FC
    • Club Career Dates
    • League Debut
      Saturday, 12th January 1980 in a 2-1 defeat at home to Blackpool (Aged: 20)
    • Club Career
      340 League apps

Dave BEASANT - Chelsea FC - Biography of Chelsea career.

(Part 1) 1989-91.

 It is a sad fact that Dave Beasant's playing career is destined to be remembered for a number of high profile errors and, in the case of his time at Chelsea, for one particular poor performance which was followed by a very public humiliation at the hands of his manager. However, the reality is somewhat different. The former Wimbledon stopper returned to London in January 1989, just eight months after lifting the FA Cup and becoming the first goalkeeper to save a penalty in an FA Cup Final as the Dons produced a huge shock to overcome Liverpool. A seven-month spell at Newcastle followed but his time on Tyneside was ruined by internal rifts, and he jumped at the chance to join a Chelsea side who were challenging hard for promotion back to Division One at the first attempt following their humiliating relegation a season earlier.

The fee paid by manager Bobby Campbell - £725,000 - was a club record but proved money well spent as Beasant replaced nervous youngster Roger Freestone and immediately instilled some hitherto-lacking confidence into a wavering defence. He saved a penalty as Chelsea travelled to Walsall and left with all three points courtesy of a 7-0 scoreline, and turned in match-winning performances in single goal victories at both Brighton and Ipswich as the Blues embarked on a run of just one defeat in 22 games. The ever-present keeper eventually capped an outstanding calendar year with another honour, this time a Division Two championship medal, Chelsea pipping runners-up Manchester City to the title by the small matter of 17 points.

 The Blues' return to the top-flight gave Bez an opening day opportunity to go back to his spiritual home, Plough Lane, as Chelsea overcame a stubborn Dons side by a single Kevin Wilson goal. The 1989/90 season was surprisingly successful for the Stamford Bridge side with a fifth-placed finish in the League. Bez made a trademark penalty save when he thwarted David Rocastle from the spot as the Blues played out a 0-0 draw with Arsenal in September but saved his most impressive personal performance for a live televised 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday a year to the day since his debut. The highlight of the campaign, however, came with a 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough in front of more than 75, 000 spectators as Chelsea lifted the ZDS Cup at Wembley.

 Another ever-present season had continued an incredible spell of consecutive first-team appearances stretching back nine years but this finally came to an end in November 1990 when a cracked bone in a finger led to three weeks on the sidelines. The season had begun with a last-minute penalty save to deny Derby's Dean Saunders to secure a 2-1 win for Chelsea, and it ended with Bez as the club's top appearance maker again, even captaining the side on six occasions. It was, however, to be the last season in which his place in the team was secure. (Kelvin Barker).


Dave Beasant is pictured above playing for Chelsea on 9th. March 1993.

Photo  Stuart Franklin.  © G.H.



(Part 2) 1991-93

Ian Porterfield replaced Bobby Campbell as Chelsea manager in the summer of 1991 and selected Dave Beasant for his first game in charge, a 2-2 draw at home to Wimbledon, but after a 3-0 beating at Oldham in midweek Porterfield dropped Bez in favour of Kevin Hitchcock. For the remainder of the season the two goalkeepers found themselves in and out of the side, Dave returning in the autumn but being dropped again after a 3-0 thrashing by Norwich at Stamford Bridge. He was back in the side for the Christmas period but a New Years Day match against Manchester City, where a weak referee allowed Niall Quinn to get away with a string of bad challenges on the keeper, left him battered, bruised and back on the sidelines as his wounds took time to heal.


Hitchcock made the goalkeeper's spot his own with a string of fine performances over the next two months but when he made an error which allowed Sunderland a late equaliser in an FA Cup quarter-final tie he was immediately dropped, and so the farcical goalkeeping carousel continued until, as the season ended, both men had made 21 appearances apiece. With his confidence beginning to ebb away, the 1992/93 season started dismally for Dave when his weak clearance allowed Oldham to steal a draw at the Bridge on the opening day, but that was just a forerunner to events a month later when a 2-0 half-time lead against Norwich was overturned in the second-half as the Canaries scored three times, two of the goals coming as a result of goalkeeping howlers. However, the supporters' well-voiced anger turned to sympathy when it was later announced on national TV that Porterfiled had told the press - though not Beasant himself - that the big goalkeeper would never play for Chelsea again.


Loan spells with Grimsby and Wolves followed before a plunge into the lower reaches of the Premier League table saw Porterfield sacked and Dave recalled for caretaker boss David Webb's second game in charge, at home to Arsenal. Bez read the script perfectly and with the crowd fully behind him gave a stirring, man-of-the-match performance as Chelsea ran out 1-0 winners. He remained Webb's first choice for much of the remainder of the campaign but, tellingly, was replaced by Dmitri Kharine for the final two matches of the season. His last match of 1992/93 was a 3-0 defeat at Manchester United.


It was his last appearance for the Londoners. A pre-season argument with a bottle of salad cream left Bez with a badly cut foot which rendered him unfit to stake a claim for the goalkeeper's spot at the start of 1993/94. New manager Glenn Hoddle opted for Kharine as his first choice keeper with Hitchcock in reserve and it was clear that there would be no way back this time for the genial, Willesden-born player. In November 1993, aged 34, Dave joined Southampton for £300,000 and subsequently embarked on another full decade between the sticks before eventually moving into coaching. (Kelvin Barker).

1989–1993    Chelsea    133    (0)
1992             Grimsby Town (loan)    6    (0)
1992             Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan)    4    (0)
1993–1997    Southampton    88    (0)
1997–2001    Nottingham Forest    139    (0)
2001–2002    Portsmouth    27    (0)
2001             Tottenham Hotspur (loan)    0    (0)
2002             Bradford City    0    (0)
2002             Wigan Athletic    0    (0)
2003             Brighton & Hove Albion    16    (0)
2003–2004    Fulham    0    (0)
2013             North Greenford United    1    (0)
2014–2015    Stevenage    0    (0)


Total        775   Games