Manchester United

Kevin Moran - Manchester United - Biography of his career at Man Utd.

Photo/Foto: George Herringshaw

Date: 21 May 1983

Click on image to enlarge

      Central Defender
      Sunday, 29 April 1956
      Dublin, Ireland
  • Blackburn Rovers
    • Club Career Dates
    • League Debut
      Saturday, 27th January 1990 in a 3-0 win at home to Stoke City (Aged: 33)
    • Club Career
      143 League apps (+4 as sub), 10 goals
  • Manchester United
    • Club Career Dates
    • League Debut
      Monday, 30th April 1979 in a 1-1 draw at Southampton (Aged: 23)
    • Club Career
      228 League apps (+3 as sub), 21 goals
Prostate cancer. On every 30,000 + page! XXXXX 30,000 plus pages George used his vision. Help them gain their's.

Kevin MORAN - Manchester United - Biography of his career at Man Utd.


Kevin Moran signed for Manchester United in February 1978 having been spotted playing for Irish College team Pegasus. First team opportunties were initially hard to come by and it was over a year until Kevin made his debut for the Red Devils, in a 1-1 draw against Southampton at The Dell. The following season also provided little opportunity, although the Irishman did feature for a six-week spell in November/December '79 during which time he scored his first United goal, the opener in a 5-0 drubbing of Norwich City at Old Trafford. He returned to first team action for three games at the end of April, deputising for Gordon McQueen, and helped United to three victories to secure runners-up spot behind Liverpool in the league. The 1980/81 season saw Moran finally establish himself as a regular in the starting line-up, playing in 32 of the 42 League games. Despite United winning their final seven games, the manager who had signed Moran, Dave Sexton, was sacked. Ron Atkinson took over in the summer of 1981 and though Kevin didn't feature initially, he soon became a fixture within the starting eleven. He scored the winner in a 2-1 defeat of Liverpool at Anfield and a brace as United beat Aston Villa 4-1 to finish the season with 7 goals. The following year Kevin helped United to Wembley for both League and FA Cup Finals. They lost 2-1 in extra time to Liverpool in the League Cup Final leaving the FA Cup as their only hope of silverware for the season. In a 2-1 semi-final victory against Arsenal Moran had been carried off, however, he returned to the side only two weeks later. United met Brighton & Hove Albion in the final and drew 2-2 in the first meeting. The replay was more conclusive as Moran helped United to a 4-0 win, picking up his first winner's medal along the way. (Steve Drabble)



 The shot of Kevin Moran playing for Manchester United was taken on Saturday,  8th. September 1984.

Photography George Herringshaw.   ©


                                                                    (Part 2) 1983 - 1988.


Victory in the 1983 FA Cup Final qualified Moran and United for the European Cup Winners' Cup the following season and it proved to be to be the highlight of the '83/84 campaign. In the quarter-final first leg United lost 2-0 to Barcelona only to beat the Spanish giants 3-0 in the return leg at Old Trafford. Though it ended with semi-final defeat against Juventus, Moran had helped United to their first European semi-final for fifteen years. Again Kevin's goal return was seven for the season, including both goals in a 2-1 win against Sunderland at Old Trafford. The following season Moran was absent for nearly five months in total as injuries took their toll, although he did return in time to play in the final four league games, scoring in three of them as United finished fourth. Whilst he was out the team had progressed to the FA Cup Final, where they were due to meet treble-chasing Everton. An exemplary display from the Irishman at the heart of defence helped to keep the Merseysiders out but disaster struck when a mistimed tackle late in the game saw Moran become the first player to be sent off in an FA Cup Final. Fortunately, for Kevin, the game ended in a 1-0 victory after a stunning strike by youngster Norman Whiteside. Injuries again kept Kevin out of the side for long spells during the 1985/86 season as the side's early season promise, which saw them win 13 and draw 2 of the opening 15 games, faded. Sir Alex Ferguson took over from Ron Atkinson in November 1986 and though Kevin appeared for much of his first year in charge he was allowed to leave on a free transfer in the summer of 1988 to join Sporting Gijon. He made his final appearance in a 1-0 defeat at Norwich City on 5th March 1988 and will be fondly remembered as an incredibly brave, strong tackling central defender. (Steve Drabble)